Cyanoacrylate Adhesives for the Electronics Industry
Cyanoacrylates are instant adhesives that quickly form a strong bond between surfaces in a large variety of applications. In comparison to other types of adhesives, cyanoacrylates form strong bonds with a wider variety of materials.
Aron Alpha is one of the first developers of cyanoacrylate adhesives. Our adhesives portfolio includes industrial cyanoacrylate instant adhesives, accelerators, primers, and applicators.
Cyanoacrylate adhesives are commonly used during the electronic assembly process to bond small parts. They have several properties that make them uniquely suited for the electronics industry. For example, cyanoacrylates are resistant to high temperatures, such as during the soldering process, and they are low blooming, which helps protect sensitive electronic components.
Cyanoacrylates for Electronic Applications
Cyanoacrylates are used in the assembly of many electronic products due to their quick curing rate, strong bond, and electrically insulated properties. Some of the most common applications for cyanoacrylates within the electronics industry include:
- Printed circuit boards (PCBs): Cyanoacrylates are used for bonding surface-mounted components, wire tacking, and potting and encapsulating electronic components.
- Motors: Cyanoacrylates can be used to mount motors and perform bonding in applications where mechanical fasteners would take up too much space, or welding is impossible.
- Small mechanical components: When bonding small components that would be difficult for other types of adhesives, cyanoacrylates work quickly and are easy to use within small spaces.
- Consumer Electronics: Items such as cameras, cell phones, tablets, speakers, and automotive displays all rely on cyanoacrylate adhesives to form a durable bond at a low cost. Cyanoacrylate adhesives in these applications contribute to thinner and lighter-weight end products.
- Wire tacking: Special thicker viscosities are most suitable for this application. With the use of an accelerator, it can cure in as little as 20 seconds.
- Plastic bonding: New, high-performance cyanoacrylate adhesives are available which eliminate the previous difficulties of bonding certain types of plastic. Certain types of plastic require the use of a surface treatment primer before the application of the adhesive.
- Metal bonding: Instead of soldering, two metals can be joined in a strong, permanent bond that is fast and easy to form.
Cyanoacrylates form a solid bond almost instantly by reacting to surface traces of moisture in order to cure. When used in tacking applications, an accelerant or setter is used to cure the surface.
Advantages of Cyanoacrylates for Electronics
In regard to electronic applications, some key benefits to using cyanoacrylates include:
- Low odor: Cyanoacrylates’ lack of odor is a quality greatly preferred by manufacturers, as it is less hazardous to workers.
- Cures rapidly: It cures in seconds, allowing for a quick assembly time of electronic components and consumer products.
- Able to resist high temperatures: This makes it able to withstand the soldering process, which is a frequent component of electrical device assembly.
- Easy to use: In certain applications, cyanoacrylates can replace more difficult or time-consuming bonding processes. This makes electronic assembly fast, simple, and cost-effective.
- Excellent bond strength: Cyanoacrylates are a strong and reliable solution for many types of substrates including rubbers, metals, most plastics, and more.
- Electrically insulative: This prevents short circuits in electronics and is an essential quality in many electronic bonding applications.
- Low blooming: The development of a fine, white residue around the bond area is referred to as “blooming”. Using a low-booming adhesive is essential for the assembly of sensitive electronic components, which can be damaged by this residue.
Cyanoacrylates for Electronics at Aron Alpha
Cyanoacrylate adhesives are a long-lasting, reliable solution for many electronics applications. Traits such as temperature resistance, bond strength, and low blooming effect enable it to be an effective, reliable choice for electronics assembly.
Aron Alpha has been providing a large selection of industrial quality adhesives for over 50 years. Our products are suitable for highly technical applications and can also be specially engineered to meet the needs of your specific application. Contact us with any questions about our products and the best option for your project. When you’re ready to get started, submit your request for a quote.