Bonding Rubber and Thermoplastic Elastomers with Cyanoacrylates
Toagosei America Inc. is a world-leading manufacturer of industrial adhesives used for assembling discrete parts into finished products. We meet your large and small assembly needs with a comprehensive line of advanced adhesive products. We manufacture, package, and distribute our products to provide turnkey adhesive solutions with consistently high performance and quality. Our team can also deliver special formulations for specialized unique applications and a variety of packaging options.
Understanding what cyanoacrylates are and how they can be used to benefit elastomer assembly applications like bonding elastomers and thermoplastics can help you determine if Aron Alpha cyanoacrylate adhesives are right for your assembly.
What Are Cyanoacrylates?
Cyanoacrylates are a one-part, strong-bonding superglue that rapidly cures at room temperature and is commonly known as CA glue, instant adhesive, or Krazy Glue. Cyanoacrylates activate when exposed to ambient moisture, humidity in the air, and moisture on the surface of the material being bonded. Water ions cause the cyanoacrylates to form strong chains of polymers and bond instantly to various surfaces. Industrial Krazy Glue can create a durable bond immediately to various elastomeric materials, including ethylene propylene rubber (EPDM), natural rubber (NR), neoprene rubber (CR), and thermoplastic vulcanisates (TPV) compounds.
Cyanoacrylates for Thermoplastic Elastomer Assembly Applications
Manufacturers that need to join elastomer surfaces to other materials as part of the manufacturing process can benefit from using Aron Alpha cyanoacrylate adhesives. Aron Alpha adhesives deliver benefits for a wide range of thermoplastic elastomer assembly applications, such as automotive elastomer extrusion sealing systems, anti-vibration motor and strut mounts, hose assemblies, and sound-controlling and insulation products.
Why Are Cyanoacrylates Great for Elastomer Assembly Applications?
Cyanoacrylate adhesives are ideal for elastomer assembly applications. Aron Alpha cyanoacrylate adhesives offer the following benefits:
- Moisture Resistance: Rubber-toughened cyanoacrylate adhesive formulations offer consistent durability when exposed to moisture. However, the cyanoacrylate adhesive’s ability to resist moisture depends on the surface material being bonded.
- Superior Strength: It is necessary to consider the life cycle of the assembly and the forces applied to the bond line in order to select the right cyanoacrylate adhesive for the substrates.
- Rapid Fixture Speed: Cyanoacrylate adhesives provide fast fixture and curing speeds. Factors like the substrate material, the adhesive viscosity, the bond gap between the materials, and ambient humidity and temperature can all affect curing speed.
- Wide Range of Viscosity: Cyanoacrylate adhesives are available in various viscosities to meet a range of applications. Wafer-thin liquid adhesives are ideal for filling crevices via capillary action to produce a strong bond, while thixotropic gel-like adhesives provide more control during application.
- High Peel Strength: Cyanoacrylate adhesives offer high resistance to peeling. Peel strength is the ability to resist forces that peel or pull apart two surfaces at a specific angle and rate.
- Thermally Resistant: Cyanoacrylate adhesives maintain an excellent bond after exposure to high temperatures. Some formulations can maintain bond strength even after being subjected to temperatures up to 250 °F and as low as -40 °F.
- Bonding to Low Surface Energy Rubber Substrates: Surface treatment primers can be applied to the surface of a workpiece to allow for bonding to low surface energy rubber substrates.
High-Performance Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Solutions From Aron Alpha
Cyanoacrylate adhesives form a fast and strong bond between two surfaces by forming a polymer chain when exposed to moisture in the atmosphere or on the bonding surface. They offer exceptional performance in thermoplastic elastomer assembly applications and provide many benefits for joining elastomers and thermoplastics, including high shear strength, fixture speed, moisture resistance, and peel strength.
Toagosei Inc. has been delivering adhesive solutions since 1963. We are the global leader in manufacturing industrial adhesives, including Aron Alpha’s cyanoacrylates, supplying turnkey adhesive solutions for assemblies of all sizes. We also manufacture packaging options, special formulations, applicators, primers, instant adhesives, and solutions for general assembly, electronics, and automotive applications.
Contact us online or call us at 614-718-3855 to learn more about our adhesive solutions for industrial applications.