Cyanoacrylates for Automotive Applications
Cyanoacrylates—also referred to as instant adhesives or power glues—are single component adhesives that cure rapidly when exposed to moisture on bonding surfaces or in the surrounding atmosphere. Their ease of application and ability to adhere to a broad selection of materials make them suitable for use in a variety of industrial and household applications. In particular, Industrial Krazy Glue™—the diverse line of cyanoacrylate products manufactured and marketed by Toagosei America under the brand Aron Alpha®—serves a wide range of industrial and commercial functions, including in the automotive industry.
Why Are Cyanoacrylates Great for Automotive Applications?
Cyanoacrylates have numerous properties that make them suitable for automotive applications, including:
- Ease of use and removal. Compared to two-part adhesives or adhesives that require additional curing agents or catalysts, cyanoacrylates are much easier to apply and set. These qualities allow them to accommodate use in automated dispensing systems or by manual hand application from the bottle. Additionally, they are easily removed by acetone-based products like nail polish removers.
- Fast cure and set times. As long as there is a trace of water present to initiate the curing process, cyanoacrylates cure and set rapidly at room temperature.
- High bond strength. These adhesives demonstrate high bond strength in both shear and tensile modes.
- Small environmental footprint. The absence of solvents in cyanoacrylates makes them more environmentally friendly than other adhesives.
- Wide availability and applicability. Cyanoacrylates are available in a variety of viscosities, ranging from thin liquids to thixotropic no run gels. They bond well with various materials such as leather, plastics, metals, and glass laminates, and the use of primers allows them to work with difficult-to-bond materials such as polyolefin and elastomers.
When Are Cyanoacrylates Not the Best Fit?
Despite their many advantages, cyanoacrylates are not suitable for use in every automotive assembly. Some of the limitations of these adhesives include the inability to bridge large gaps between substrates, a comparably lower solvent and chemical resistance, and risk of stress cracking when it comes to plastic substrates (as the adhesives cure and harden). For the clearest understanding if cyanoacrylates are a good fit for your intended application, consult your adhesive solutions provider.
Cyanoacrylates’ Most Compatible Materials
Cyanoacrylates are suitable for use with many materials used in automotive manufacturing, such as plastics, metals, composites, and natural materials. The below list covers a few of these materials:
- Plastics: ABS, Acrylic, EPDM, Nylon, Phenolic, Polycarbonate, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polystyrene, and PVC
- Metals: Aluminum, Steel, Powder Coated Steel and Zinc
- Composites: Carbon Fiber, Ferrite, Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP), Glass Laminate, and Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP)
- Natural materials: Leather and Wood
Automotive Parts Compatible With Cyanoacrylates
In the automotive industry, industry professionals use cyanoacrylate adhesives for the assembly of a wide range of exterior and interior automotive parts.
|Bright trim window molding end cap||Air/fuel/transmission hose and clamp assemblies|
|Door weather stripping||Anti-vibration mounts|
|Deck lid and sunroof seals||Gear shift selector covers|
|Glass runs and body-mounted opening trim weather-strip||Hand brake covers|
|Grill/spoiler fascia trims||Plastic clip assemblies|
|Windshield wiper blades||Rubber grommets for dash/firewall thru holes|
|Side guard moldings||Wire harness assemblies|
|Tail lamp rubber seals||Noise canceling speaker bracket to headliner|
High-Performance Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Solutions From Aron Alpha
Due to their numerous advantageous properties, cyanoacrylates find application in a large range of automotive systems. For high-performance cyanoacrylate solutions for industrial and commercial use cases, turn to Aron Alpha. As one of the original producers of instant adhesives, we are an industry leader with reliable industrial adhesive solutions for every customer.
For additional information about our cyanoacrylate solutions for automotive applications, contact us today.
To learn more about choosing the right cyanoacrylates for your needs, visit these resources: